Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hello, Holo! Part I

I have a topcoat I am very excited to share with you all. In fact, I am so excited about it that I became crazy indecisive about what to wear it over to show ya'll.

So indecisive, that I am going to show it to you in three parts.

So indecisive, I narrowed it down to... 30 color samples.

Did I mention I was excitedly indecisive.

What strikes me as a bit funny is that beyond this indecisiveness was the original inability to decide if I wanted to invest money in this type of polish to begin with.

I couldn't commit to purchasing holographic polishes. They're pretty popular, but I just couldn't do it. Partially because I was unsure they were my style, and partly because if I did like them s lot... I would want to splurge and get many colors, because, lets face it, I wouldn't be able to pick just one or two.

Remember, I had to narrow it down to 30.

Yeah. Problem.

Enter Mentality. Another indie brand by another husband/wife team (I love hearing that).

Mentality nail polish can be purchased here:
http://www.mentalitynailpolish.bigcartel.com/

A few things I love about this line: they INCLUDE shipping in the price and their labels are transparent. (I should note Chirality's are too and I love that!) I think transparent labels look classier and more professional.

Okay, much of Mentality's line is holographic colors.

But, they have a wicked awesome topcoat for the indecisive folk (or unsure about holographic folk) like me.

Unfortunately, the weather has been cold and dreary here so lighting stinks these last few days. The photos I took slightly show the holographic effect. The fact I took them with a phone probably doesn't help. But trust me, the holo effect is awesome. It's pretty intense when the lift hits it correctly. The closest photos I could get to demonstrating are under a light bulb and even they aren't the best.

I chose to show ten colors this post. I will do ten each in the next two as well. I did them diagonal with the top coat on the tips so you could see the difference between full color and with the slight silvering effect Holo has over the colors. I find that it silvers darker colors more than lighter colors, but you can totally tell either way what your base color is.

Again, the photos have a weird effect and so I must note that in real life, they are not quite this dramatically contrasted.

Well, that and I have never tried this half nail top coat technique and a few times I got it on a little too thick.

I didn't do clean up because it was nearly time to get Spencer lunch. I also marred the surface of a few nails due to my own impatience, and I didn't deal the entire manicure with top coat because I knew I would be taking it off shortly... for the other 20 colors I am going to try.

Left hand, thumb to pinky:
Sinful Colors - Folly
Zoya - Asia
Sinful Colors - Boogie Nights
Zoya - Arizona
Sinful Colors - Pull Over

Right hand, thumb to pinky:
Sinful Colors - Dream On
Wet N Wild - On a Trip
OPI - Tomorrow Never Dies
Sally Hansen - Pronto Purple
Revlon - Lily

I took the photos from multiple light sources in search of the most accurate photos. Stupid cloudy winter weather.























2 comments:

  1. Those look really fun. I might need to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I love how you swatched it over so many different colors.

    ReplyDelete