Wednesday, May 22, 2013

101th post Q & A

101th, you ask? Yeah... That's because sometimes Nik types without really thinking.

Anyway, we thought we would cekebrate by answering questions from some of our community members! Have a question to add? Comment below, we can so a part 2 post!



How do you not cry when working with big glitter? 
Nik: I uh... I think it's mostly fun to use, though my nails are so round that they often don't lie flush and so I get frustrated later when my nails snag on things. As far as removal goes, if I don't use the tin foil removal method or glue as a base coat, I use scrap fabric with my remover because it tips less and grips more glitter.
Desi: I do. Every time. ;) Not gonna lie, I have a love/hate relationship with glitter polishes. I love them, until it's time for removal.

What closet do you lock your children in to find time to give yourselves manis? 
Nik: The neighbor's pantry- then there are snacks easily accessible so they don't come home crabby. 
Totally kidding. I do my manicures throughout the day. A coat here and there... whenever I have a few free moments.
Desi: I usually wait until Owen is napping to do my manicures. Either that, or I'll do it when he's spending a day with my parents or is otherwise occupied.

How many caffeinated beverages do you drink every day in order to get so much STUFF done and still have mani time? 
Nik: At least one coffee- hot or iced. If I have Coke, one of those (anyone willing to chip in for a year supply? Haha.)
Desi: At least one! Coffee in the morning. (Always hot. Iced coffee is just wrong!) And I'm a Coke addict...Coca-Cola, that is. I ususally have a Coke in the afternoon.

What's your favorite polish brand? 
Nik: Zoya is my favorite mainstream. I also like OPI and Sinful Colors. My favorite indie is GG Couture Nail Lacquer because she makes fabulous customs. I also favor Daring Digits, Different Dimemsion and LynBDesigns. I love so many indie brands but I have the most of them.
Desi: Essie is my current favorite. I've heard a lot of people complain about it being difficult to work with, but I've never had any issues with application. I'm also a big fan of Zoya & OPI. I haven't used many indie polishes (yet!!) but I own polishes from GG Couture (amazing!) and Different Dimension (also amazing!) and I love them. (I even had the honor of naming a DD polish!) I have wish lists of several other indie brands.

Do you use base coat or just top coat?
Nik: I try to do both... especially since I have stained my nails green and blue multiple times this year. Top coat almost always.
Desi: I always use a top coat. Base coat when I remember.

How do y'all store your polishes?
Nik: My husband bought me a big ass caboodle for Christmas that I store mainstream polishes in. My indies are in plastic baskets on a shelf.
Desi: Right now, they're in little baskets in my bathroom drawers, but I plan to get a clear pocket shoe storage hanger to put them in, like missglamorazzi on YouTube. I love the idea of being able to see them all at a glance.

OPI, Cover Girl, Sally Hansen, Revlon, Mary Kay, China Glaze, random brands, nail art tools/Konad stamper

Essie, GG Couture, Different Dimension, TONP, Zoya, Orly, NYC, Hard Candy, Nailtini


Have you ever tried to practice on the boys?
Nik: Yes. Once. He runs away if I offer now. Scaredy cat. I tried to paint Elmo on his toes.  
Mine: 
His:


Desi: No. Nail polish is for mommy only!

Have you ever used a polish you absolutely hated?
Nik: I had one from an indie brand with curling glitter, super thick even with thinner, and a severely deformed brush. I was going to blog it and decided to contact the creator first... and have yet to hear back from her, a month later.
Desi: Yes. Not because they were "bad" polishes, but because the color wasn't flattering with my skin tone or because the formula was a bit difficult to work with.

How often do you put off other reviews so you can wear a polish for more than a little bit?
Nik: Like... Twice?
Desi: I'm awful about doing reviews. 1, because I suck at photographing my manicures and 2, because I'm not crazy about changing my polish so often--ain't nobody got time fa dat! ;) When I pick a color, I leave it on for a couple of days. That said, I am trying to be a better nail blogger and post/review more often.

Favorite ice cream?
Nik: Coldstone cheese cake with chocolate shavings (not chips or sprinkles), strawberries, and caramel. I think I'm drooling just thinking about it.
Desi: Chocolate. Plain, soft serve chocolate!

That was fun!  Serious! Any more questions?

1 comment: